Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two Profiles, Five Photos, One Google

Last week I created a Blogger account so I could explore the interaction between Google+ and Google's blog platform.  There is a profile associated with my Blogger account, and new blogs I create show a link to this profile by default.  My Blogger profile is separate from my Google+ profile, and I think that is a good thing.  I like that my Blogger profile can use a photo that's been customized to fit in with the color scheme of my blogs.  I also favor making pseudonymous blogging available and easy.  However, it would be nice to have a box in the Blogger profile editor that says "use my Google+ profile" -- as an option, not a requirement.

Before I decided to get fancy with colors, I figured I'd save some server space by using in Blogger profile the photo I'd already uploaded for my Google+ profile.  Turns out that's not possible.  While Blogger allowed me to specify a profile photo by URL, Blogger doesn't simply use that same photo.  I know this because I ended up with four more copies of the photo in my Picasa Web Albums!

If I want my photo to display properly in my Blogger profile, I probably need to leave the copies Blogger has created and placed in an album called Blogger Pictures.  Having this separate album makes sense, as it keeps me from accidentally deleting my Blogger photo while pruning Picasa Web Albums -- though I'm not sure why four copies of my photo are necessary.

So far, as to interaction with Google+, I'm not seeing much difference between Blogger and any other blogging platform.  That may change over time.