Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pseudonymous Blogging

In my last post, I mentioned pseudonymous blogging.  Boing Boing! has an article by Maggie Koerth-Baker on Pseudonyms and Science.  It provides a thoughtful and concise explanation of why pseudonyms make sense for certain kinds of blogging.  The article also provides links to further discussions of pseudonyms on the Internet.

Writing under a pseudonym was not invented with the Internet.  The custom of "pen names" is well-established.  I am entirely comfortable with Lewis Carroll, Andre Norton, George Eliot, and Mark Twain.  What I fail to understand is why pseudonymous blogging on the Internet is considered by some to be inappropriate.  As far as I know, no one is being forced to read pseudonymous blogs, which is perhaps more than can be said of Tom Sawyer.