Saturday, March 1, 2014

FITS Liberator Image from 03h32m29.3s, -27d44m10.0s (J2000)

This is an image I created today using the FITS Liberator with data obtained from SkyView. What you're seeing is an area of deep space that was surveyed by the Hubble Space Telescope Advanced Camera for Surveys (HST ACS). I got the FITS data by giving SkyView the coordinates 03h32m29.3s, -27d44m10.0s (J2000 co-ordinate system) and specifying regions .02 degrees in size.

To get a color image, I downloaded three sets of FITS data, each covering the same area of space, but with different filters for wavelength. Using the FITS Liberator, I converted each data set into a TIFF image. I then loaded the TIFF images in to Adobe Photoshop to make a stack of three layers and gave a different color (i.e. red, green, blue) to each layer. After making some curves adjustments, I got the image you see above.

Making this image involved a series of subjective judgements, first in managing the dynamic ranges of images with the FITS Liberator, and then in tweaking curves in Photoshop. So the image you see should be considered an artistic rendering of astronomical data rather than a "snapshot" of outer space. I did, however, try to keep the colors basically "natural" by assigning blue to the shortest frequency filter, red to the highest frequency, and green to the one in the middle.

When looking at my image, you may be wondering if there's a way to describe the part of space it shows other than by the coordinates I've provided. I was wondering that too, at first!  I've never taken a class in astronomy, and I understand less than half of what I read on the subject. However, I'm fascinated by astrophotography. So my approach to learning about astronomy has been to find interesting images and then try to understand what they show. If you're an astronomy buff, you may know what my image shows. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait for me to post more information.